Buang Jones (35 years old lawyer from Bloemfontein)
LLB (Unisa) LLM in Corporate Law (Unisa)
Management Development Programme (GIBS Business School)
Attorney of the High Court of South Africa (11 years post admission experience)
Accredited Mediator (Conflict Dynamics).
Focus area of practice: General Legal advisor and Litigator in Public Interest Law, Human Rights Law, and Alternative Dispute Resolution
Provincial Head: South African Human Rights Commission (Gauteng Provincial Office)
Acting Head of Legal Services: South African Human Rights Commission.
Previous Positions Held
Provincial Head/ Senior Legal Officer: South African Human Rights Commission (Free State Provincial Office).
Attorney: Legal Aid South Africa.
Awards/ membership of Professional institutes and Associations.
- Awarded a Certificate by the Law Society of South Africa Legal Education and Development (2008) for Practical Legal Training
- Awarded a Certificate for Court-aligned Mediation
- Passed Attorney’s Board exam at first attempt (2009)
- Member of the Legal Practice Council
Some of the highlights of Buang’s legal career:
1. Successfully intervened in the following notable matters:
1.1. UFS Reitz video incident
1.2. Unenclosed toilets saga in the Free State
1.3. Racism incidents at schools in the Free State
1.4. Andries T atane
1.5. Adam Catzavelos
1.6. Angelo Agrizzi
1.8. Qwaqwa evictions
1.9. Martha Marais incident at Mamelodi Hospital
2. Chaired investigation inquiries into the following:
2.1. Vaal River Pollution
2.2. Charlotte Maxeke Hospital Protests
2.3. UNISA Inquiry into allegations of racism, harrasmment and discrimination
2.4. Alexandra Inquiry
2.5. Racial Profiling by Medical Aid Schemes
3. Shortlisted and interviewed for the Deputy Public Protector position in 2019